Review: The Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle


Pub. Date: August 27th, 2013
Publisher: Amulet Books
Hardcover
336 pages

Lauren Myracle is by all standards a popular Tween/Teen author. This is the first of her novels that I have read, so I don’t know if this title is typical of her writing, but I hope that readers do not flock towards The Infinite Moment of Us. For me, the novel does not add positively to the Teen Romance genre, because the relationship is one I personally do not support.

In the summer following her last year in high school, straight and narrow Wren Grey takes her first ever side step from the ‘plan’, choosing to defer college, instead accepting a volunteer position in Guatemala. No parental input allowed. Her seemingly small world expands when Charlie Parker catches her eye. Charlie and Wren’s upbringings seem to be entirely different, but they connect through the insecurities they both hold internally. Falling in love, the two see their relationship as the kind that can last a lifetime. But are they ready for what commitment really means?

Typically Teen Romances are among my favorite things. But, The Infinite Moment of Us didn’t live up to the genre. While I found Charlie to be a likeable enough guy, Wren drove me crazy. In novels
similar to this one, you typically want the characters to be together and to be happy. But, I found Charlie to be way too good for the manipulative, controlling, immature, Wren. The moments of ‘tension’ when we’re not really sure if the couple will stay together were weirdly the moments I really supported. I wanted Charlie to realize that Wren is like every other person who has treated him poorly in the past, and I wanted him to walk away.

I typically love how much character growth you can expect from Coming of Age Romances – the characters usually learn a great amount about themselves, and what being in a serious relationship and acting like an adult really means. But, I didn’t see any of these developments in Wren or Charlie. From the beginning Wren is too afraid to say or fight for what she wants. She can’t tell her parents she wants to defer, and she goes behind their backs making decisions in the most immature way. She treats her relationship with Charlie similarly. Instead of saying why she’s upset, or telling Charlie what she feels, she’s unfairly passive aggressive, torturing his lack of understanding. Charlie never develops into someone who can walk away from people like Wren, who treat him badly. He allows himself to be continuously manipulated. The very end of the novel is the one time I thought the characters were going to show real growth and maturity. But my hopes were dashed by the decisions that were ultimately made.

I think readers are going to be savvy enough to recognize they don’t want a relationship like the one Wren and Charlie have. This is one title I won’t be recommending.

Rating 2/10

*** I received a copy of this novel from the publisher to read and honestly review. I was in no way compensated.

This review and others like it are available at confessionsofanadultteenreader.blogspot.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment